|Address||Vidya Vihar, Pilani, Rajasthan, India- 333031|
|Branches||CS, ECE, Biotech, Electrical|
Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani is one of the best private technological university in India. BITS, Pilani mostly focuses on undergraduate education in Engineering, Science and Management. BITS is also one of the few universities in India that follows “No Reservation Policy” for admission. Ex-Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan, Hotmail-Founder Sabeer Bhatia and Amkette Founder Rajiv Bapna are some of the products of the university.
BITS has three other campuses in addition to the Pilani campus:
BITS Pilani Admissions:
BITS, Pilani offers programs at all the levels of education i.e. Undergraduate, Post-graduate and Doctoral-level programs. Admission to all the courses is based on various entrance test conducted by the university.
Admission to BE/B.Tech and Integrated M.Sc. programs is through BITSAT conducted by the university. For admission to Higher degree and doctoral program, one has to appear for an online entrance test and an interview, both conducted by the university.
Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test (BITSAT) is an online computer-based admission test conducted by BITS, Pilani. The test is majorly conducted for admission to integrated first degree programs offered at all the campuses of the university. BITSAT Application forms are available from the month of January, every year, while the entrance exam is conducted in the month of May.
BITSAT Application Form:
The application form for BITSAT is made available on the university’s official website. BITSAT Application forms are available from the month of January, every year, while the application process end around the month of June .Candidates need to fill the form online, once a form has been filled, candidates will need to take a print out of the application form. A candidate can make changes in the application form at any time before submitting the form. One should only take a print out of the application form, once he/she has made sure that the form has been filled in correctly.
Candidate can choose to pay online through any of the given online payment methods or may even choose to pay offline through Cash Challan. Once the candidates have taken the print out of the application form and completed the payment, they will to send the form to The Dean Admissions, BITS, Pilani, Rajasthan.
BITSAT is conducted for first degree courses offered by BITS. So, the exam consists of questions from Class XI and XII NCERT Syllabus. The paper covers almost every topic from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics/Biology, the paper also consists of question to a candidates English proficiency and Logical Reasoning Aptitude. You may read the detailed exam syllabus, for more.
BITSAT Exam Pattern:
There will be a total of 162 questions in the BITSAT 2017 exam. At First, all the candidates will be given 150 questions to solve. Those who do not skip any question will be 12 more questions only if the time permits. You may also go through the BITSAT exam pattern, here.
Here’s a blueprint for BITSAT Exam:
- For each correct answer: +3 marks
- For each wrong answer: -1 mark
- Maximum Marks: 486 Marks
More About BITS, Pilani:
Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani popularly known as BITS, Pilani is an all India institute for higher education and a deemed university. The institute is a dream come true of Late Mr. G. D. Birla- an eminent industrialist, a freedom fighter. In early 1900s it was started as a small school and over the years it was blossomed into a set of colleges for higher education until 1964 when all those colleges merged to form a deemed university, known as BITS, Pilani.
- BITS was developed in technical collaboration with Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA and benefitting from the Ford Foundation Grant.
- BITS-Pilani has been accredited by the National Assessment & Accreditation Council (NAAC) with A grade with a CGPA of 3.71 on a four-point scale.
- BITS Pilani campus is sprawled over 990 acres of land area which houses Birla Education Trust and BITS building. The Pilani campus also has India’s first technological museum, the Birla Museum built in 1954.
- In 1999, when the enrollments in the university started increasing, it started multi-campus expansion. The campuses were founded in Dubai (2000), Goa (2004) and Hyderabad (2006).
Academic Overview: The Pilani campus currently houses 15 departments spanning the gamut of pure science, applied science, humanities and management. Each of these departments is notable for their excellent faculty, the curriculum offered, the research it conducts and the number of sponsored projects the department has won. Some of the noted ones are:
• Department of Biological Sciences
• Department of Computer Science and Information Systems
• Department of Economics and Finance
• Department of Electrical and Electronics/Instrumentation
• Department of Mathematics
• Department of Management
Admissions: BITS, Pilani offers degree programs in Engineering, Sciences, Technology, Pharmacy, Management and Humanities. There are integrated first degree programs, higher degree programs and doctoral programs (PhD). Admission to these programs is done through BITSAT conducted by the university.
Cut off List for Admissions:
|Degree program||Cut-off BITSAT-2013 score|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electrical & Electronics||362|
|B.E.(Hons.): Computer Science||378|
|B.E.(Hons.): Electronics & Instrumentation||340|
|M.Sc.(Hons.): Biological Sciences||299|
Centers: Apart from these academic departments there are various centers of learning inside the BITS Pilani campus. These centers are-
- Center for Software Development
- Center for Educational Technology
- Center for Robotics and Intelligence
- Center for Desert Development Technologies
- Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership
- Center for Professional Development
- Center for Women’s Studies
Extracurricular: The BITS Pilani has a number of clubs that the students can enroll into for organizing various extracurricular activities. These clubs are-
- The Creative Activities Club (CrAC) : It works throughout the college festivals. Fun-game events in BOSM; Several workshops and competitions during OASIS; Creative puzzle events and an art gallery during APOGEE.
- The BITS Radio-Control (RC) Club
- Team Robocon is a group of robotics engineers participating in ABU Robocon.
- MASSOC: It is basically a Management Association which deals with providing a wide platform to the students so that they can showcase their management skills.
- Marketing Club: It is club where Students show up their creativity & unique ideas. It is conducted basically for discussing new practices & schemes which can help to give new dimensions to the education.
- Finance Club: It helps young minds to learn the intricacies of stock markets, the mechanics behind the driving force of the financial world.
- Editorial Club: A club created by the MBA students that gives an impartial voice to the talented minds & people with a passion to write. It brings out a management group newsletter “BIZZ BITS”.
- Astro Club: Sky watching sessions. The club is equipped with two telescopes: A Galilean and a 12.5-inch Cassegrainian telescope.
- Some other clubs include: The Hindi Drama Club (HDC), English Drama Club (EDC), The Debating Society, The Wall Street Club, The Music Club, The Dance Club, The Photography Club known as Photog.
Placement Description: BITS Pilani is well known for its placement scenario among all prestigious institutes. They have a process driven placement system.
- BITS Pilani organizes two placement seasons in a year.
- In 2013 almost 500 students from Pilani Campus, 300 from Goa and 300 Hyderabad Campus were available for placement and almost 100% succeeded securing a job
Sector wise Students Placed:
|Chemical & Petroleum||6%|
|Banking & Finance||10%|
|Biology & Pharmaceuticals||3%|
|Civil and Infrastructure||4%|
|Electronics & Telecommunication||18%|
CTC Wise Students Placed:
Sal > 10 Lakh Per Annum
Sal Between 8 & 10 Lakh Per Annum
Sal Between 6 & 8 Lakh Per Annum
Sal Between 4 and 6 Lakh Per Annum
Sal < 4 Lakh Per Annum
|Discipline||Average package (in LPA)|
|Highest package – 1.47 Cr. (Google)|
|Students Housing||There are 11 hostels for boys and 1 hostel complex for girls. All the rooms are well maintained & fully furnished having internet facility for 24 hours. Kitchen cum mess facility is also available for boys & girls. The messes attached to hostels are fully managed by the students.|
|Library||BITS library has room for up to 8,000 students and offers 738 open access study places and 246 open-access IT work stations. Collections contain over half a million items, including:|
• Around 3,000 current journal titles
• Over 20,000 electronic resources, including databases, journals and e-books
• A substantial media (CD and DVD) collection.
Outsiders can also access the library just by taking a simple membership. Additionally, the E-library has around thousands of books in electronic format & access to this material is restricted to the students and faculty at the campus.
|Sports and Games Facilities||Games and sports are organized through the Sports Club. Facilities for the following games and sports are available: Football, Hockey, Cricket, Basketball, Volleyball, Tennis, Badminton, Table Tennis, Athletics, Gymnastics, Health Club, Swimming, Water Polo, Weight lifting etc. Besides organizing routine activities in above-mentioned sports, the Sports Club also conducts the BITS Open Sports Meet (BOSM) in the First Semester every year in which several outstation teams participate.|
|Cultural and Recreational Facilities||Recreational Activity Forum (RAF) that comes under the Student Welfare Division regularly organizes film shows for the BITS community. Currently, RAF organizes twelve, English and Hindi movies each, through the semester.|
Festivals: The following festivals are hosted annually-
- BOSM- It is BITS Open Sports Meet
- OASIS-The cultural fest
- APOGEE- The signature magnum opus tech fest
- INTERFACE- Management fest organized and conducted entirely by MBA students.